The journey...

Life is in the journey, not the destination, so do what you can and take it one day at a time. Go slow, do it right, and make your changes permanent — then help out others who are where you were.

~Jillian Michaels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

...starts with ONE step!

There is so much SUCCESS in the weight loss world and I am daily amazed by awesome stories I hear on facebook, by blog, at work or by word of mouth.  I often see people walking or jogging on the sidewalks of town and in my car whisper a "Good job," because it fills me with joy seeing people push themselves to become a happier, healthier person.  It's great having these reality TV shows that have inspired millions, but when you see your neighbors, co-workers, friends and family - people in your every day communities being successful, it often has a more realistic impact. "It hits home..."  Those are the determined individuals who we get the privilege of watching LIVE off the flat screen TV, the people that help us realized here and now that, "If they can do it, I can too!"  They don't have 24 hours a day at their disposal for exercise, personal dieticians and the opportunity to be secluded from the real world.  There are McDonald's & Burger King's on their every street corner, potlucks at work, kids to attend to, work to keep up with, meetings, appointments, gatherings, vacations and every other thing that has to be wisely approached to make the right choices.    I want to start occassionally recognizing some of those people and their stories right here on my blog.  This isn't just about "me."  From day one I've wanted to encourage others to step out and run with me on this journey and I believe these individuals would want the same.  This recognition is going to be called "ONE STEP spotlight," coming from the famous quote, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."  You have no clue how many people you can impact in life just by setting an example.  So here it goes...

ONE STEP SPOTLIGHT:

*!*!*BRAD YOUNGER*!*!*



Name:  Brad Younger

Occupation:  Bank Teller

Amount Lost:  -14.5 lbs in TWO MONTHS!!!

What is your favorite exercise? Walking with friends from work, other than that I like the elliptical machine and treadmill
How often do you exercise? 4-5 times a week
How does it make you feel now that you are getting active? I feel a lot better about myself because I am trying to get fit and lose weight.

Tell me your story?  I was skinny growing up and worked jobs that kept me active, but never really exercised my whole life. After I got married nine years ago, I changed jobs where I was not as active. My wife and I walked some and even went to the gym a couple of times a week but that didn’t last very long. I have gained about seventy pounds since I got married. It has reached a point that I just want to be in better shape and be able to do more things.

What is one thing you’d like to say, either to someone else as encouragement, summary of what got you moving or general closing statement?  I’ve been one that has always wanted to lose weight and get in shape, but for some reason I just couldn’t get off the couch. Mesha, you have been a great inspiration and I thank you for starting the walking club here at work. I’m still on the couch, but not near as much, you have got me moving.
**************************************


I want to take a moment to brag on the first ONE STEP spotlight recipient.  Just eight weeks ago I started a walking club and invited co-workers, family & friends to come along to join me for a weekly walk. I initially sent the invitation out to employees who partipated in my past Biggest Loser Competitions at work as well as some personal friends. I wasn't being "bias," however, I didn't include any men in this invitation because I just wasn't sure they'd be interested. I had no clue how our walks would end up; Serious, would anyone show, boring, talkative, FAST PACED, slow and silly, girl talk??? At our very first walk, there were 3 of us girls present and about 2 minutes into the walk a familiar face joined unbeknownst to me...BRAD. He'd overheard about the walk from a colleague and decided to come along with us; It was the first time he'd went out with the intent of "exercise" in years! Within the first 1/4 mile his feet were hurting, he experienced some chest pain and we were a bit nervous about the rest of the distance. Finishing last, he made it the whole stretch and felt the pain of every step taken....but he did it! That ONE STEP has led to nearly 15 lbs lost in 2 months and inspired routine workouts far beyond our weekly group walk.  He's biking, walking, doing the elliptical and even a bit of JOGGING.  Since that ONE STEP, BRAD went from finishing last to finishing at the head of the pack last week AND he's the only walker who hasn't missed a group walk yet. GREAT JOB BRAD!

Verse of the Day:

- 1 Samuel 16:7

"...The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”

No comments: