The journey...

Life is in the journey, not the destination, so do what you can and take it one day at a time. Go slow, do it right, and make your changes permanent — then help out others who are where you were.

~Jillian Michaels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Email from a friend: Prayer WORKS! Even for weight loss!

So after returning from vacation, I received an email from a dear friend of mine, Cassy!

This encouraged and blessed my heart so much that I wanted to share it here for the blog world!

I hope it challenges and encourages you as it did me.

READ BELOW:

From: Cassy *******
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 9:57 AM
To: Demesha R. Wright
Subject: prayer...and 
weight-loss


So yesterday I was so tired of the crappy music on the radio so I turned way down the dial and got some Christian talk radio station.  They were talking about addictions and how God can save us from them…and ourselves.  At first I was like “I am not addicted to drugs or sex or alcohol” and I was about to turn it, and they said “it can also help women who are addicted to food”. 

Ears perked up, I was listening.


I usually pray to bless my food…but not all of it.  I mean, I don’t ask for my snickers bar to be blessed.  But meals, real meals…I always say, Our Dearest Heavenly Father, I am thankful for the food that is before me.  I pray that you will bless it to strengthen my body.  In the name of Jesus Christ, AMEN!

This radio show says that I should pray before any food.  Before the candy bar, before a piece of gum, before fried chicken.  Why would we ask God to bless something that is not good for our bodies?  My body is a temple right?  When I think about a temple, I think about something that is clean, and glorious, and shining, and full of beautiful, yet simple, things, surrounded by blooming flowers and green grass, where I feel peace.  I treat my temple like a slum.  I don’t want that crud in my temple anymore.  So now, starting last night, before I eat ANYTHING I pray and darn it, it works.  I listen for the spirit to speak to me…why should I expect that God is going to bless a Deluxe Big Breakfast from McDonald's to strengthen my body?  That’s what I wanted for breakfast…but I drove past 4 McDonald's on my commute, drawing from faith to fight that craving and rationality…and came to the county cafĂ© here and got an omelet, simply cooked, with veggies.  and I said my prayer and added that He would give my belly and mind the ability to know it was enough.

I ate my 2 egg omelet with veggies and that was 2.5 hours ago and I still feel…full. 

I have to answer to God NOW about my food.  I don’t’ want to stand at the beginning of eternity and have him ask me why I didn't come to Him for help in the area where I needed it the most. 

Last night, I stayed up too late…searching the scriptures for inspiration and quotes to get me through the days ahead, however many I have left here…and I found some great ones.  I wrote them down on a post-it and stuck in my bible so that I could know right away exactly where I need to go when I need the most help.

--------

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR REFLECTIONS, CASSY! :)




1 comment:

Shiloh said...

Love it!!!!! Thank you for sharing!!