The journey...

Life is in the journey, not the destination, so do what you can and take it one day at a time. Go slow, do it right, and make your changes permanent — then help out others who are where you were.

~Jillian Michaels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, August 21, 2010

**GRAND FINALE**


GO TO: http://www.kcfitmag.com/ then click on Weight Loss Challenge 3 for FINAL results!!!
9 weeks

12 original contestants

9 "sneak attackers"

***350 LBS LOST***

MY RESULTS:

~2nd PLACE~

START WEIGHT: 222.0
FINAL WEIGHT:  189.4

**32.6 POUNDS LOST in 9 WEEKS**

On Monday, August 16th, the contestants of the 3rd Kansas City Weight Loss Challenge by Kansas City Fitness Magazine all came together as a group after 9 LOOONG, hard, tiring weeks for the end of a great challenge, but also the continuation of what should be a life change.  For most, this was the first time to meet our competitors in person.  I say "competitors" although there really wasn't the feeling of competition in the air but rather one of happiness, support, SHOCK and comaraderie.  I'm thankful to have been a part of a group that wasn't cut throat, but rather encouraged one another the entire way.  There were playful jokes made here and there about finding Chris Wilson's home address and mailing anonymous goody packages, but other than that we pretty much opened our workouts to each other and even gave tips & advice on diet.

Previously we had all completed our 5th week before leaving for our "Homestretch Challenge."  The Homestretch Challenge added a new dynamic to this competition by removing the accountability of our public interviews, announcement of our results and the knowledge of our weekly standings.  For three weeks we were sent off to be disciplined and return with results that speak of our hard work "off camera."

I must admit, for the first 1 1/2 weeks of the Homestretch Challenge it didn't start off in my favor.  At one point I actually GAINED a pound before seeing the numbers turn around on my home scale.  Thanks to a well-known monthly visitor I had to cater to some water weight, fatigue and pain partnered with two back-to-back weekend vacations that resulted in lots of road stops for quick foods with sodium.  I made wise choices AND exercised on vacation, but sodium always wins!  Thankfully I was able to turn the ship around and get back on track when my "visitor" left and took a quick 7 lbs with her. :)

The final week of my time away from the scale at the KC Fit Magazine office, I laid everything I had out on the table.  Diet, workouts, more sleep - I played my "A" game and pushed harder than I ever have before.  It felt like I had a whole WEEK of "Last Chance Workouts."  I had family, friends, co-workers and fellow contestants right alongside me, running to the finish line with me!


All of the sweat, hard work and discipline proved to pay off when I stepped on the scale for the final time in front of family, friends and other participants.  It's funny because the scale is a very familiar encounter for me nowadays but needless to say I was nervous standing on it in front of other people.

"Demesha, you started this challenge 9 weeks ago weighing in at 222 pounds and left us in week 5 at 200.6 pounds. TODAY you are.....189.6 pounds for a total of 11.4 pounds lost over that past 3 weeks and 32.4 pounds lost total!!!"
WOW!  PRAISE GOD!  I went into this challenge for the accountability and chance to meet other people locally who are working towards better health and I left this challenge over 30 pounds lighter and with some inspiring new friends!  32.6 pounds landed me 2nd place with friend, Jera Leathers, right on my heels in 3rd place.  Chris Wilson ran the board all 9 weeks and took 1st with 42 pounds lost!  He's looking great just in time for his big wedding day next Saturday.


I'm extremely proud of EVERYONE who took on this challenge and tackled the fears of PUBLICALLY displaying their weight as well as their progress (whether up or down).  This challenge offered a platform to not only be encourage but inspire other people and each one of the participants did just that - INSPIRE.  It was amazing to see how family, friends, co-workers and even strangers rallied together to boost votes for our chance to be a part of this experience and even more exciting to know how much they stuck by our sides and encouraged throughout it.


In everything you do you should work your HARDEST and do your best.  I am able to say that I am proud of my accomplishments. In February, 2009 I began my weight loss journey at 342.2 lbs and have since lost over 150 lbs with various challenges along the way to help motivate me. With all that being said, at the end of the day CHRIST is still my #1 strength!  The days I'm not leaning on Him it's harder because I'm depending on me and I've learned that on my own I fail miserably.  Faith IS believing in what we do not see and I have faith that by God's grace I WILL reach my goal.  I am at a point of my journey where EVERYTHING is new and EVERYTHING is a celebration.  Every pound lost is unfamiliar territory, every size dropped is a new experience.  At 25 years old I am the smallest and healthiest I have ever been in my life for my age range.

I am thankful for YOU and other family & friends who have been an amazing support system in promoting a healthy and encouraging environment for me to continue moving in the right direction. THANK YOU for all of your LOVE, SUPPORT and INSPIRATION as I continue striving to successfully lose 200 pounds and KEEP it off!

LeAnn came to support me at the final weigh-in and made a cute shirt with my name on it and a cross. :')

I saw this quote on one of my good friends facebook status the other day and thought it was worth sharing:

"The most courageous people change before they have to.." -Bill Phillips

Don't wait until the doctor tells you that a healthier lifestyle is your only chance at life - BE COURAGEOUS - start today!

Verse of the Day:

"Now faith is being SURE of what we hope for and CERTAIN for what we do not see."

-Hebrews 11:1

"We walk by FAITH, not by sight."

-2 Corinthians 5:7

No comments: