The journey...

Life is in the journey, not the destination, so do what you can and take it one day at a time. Go slow, do it right, and make your changes permanent — then help out others who are where you were.

~Jillian Michaels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

SELF EVALUATION


Did you ever have to do a self evaluation in school? Normally they'd give you a little question/answer sheet and you'd evaluate your own work - how much work did you REALLY put into this? You've always got two options with a self-evaluation:


1. Be perfectly honest, afterall this is YOUR grade on the line. Only YOU know how much time & effort went into it.


2. Rob yourself by neglecting to acknowledge the areas that may have been slacking. You are only hurting yourself by lying. With that being said - if you've put any amount of energy into this and it's your first "edit," there usually is a good balance btwn the above and below par areas.


Okay, so I say all of this for a point as usual. If any of you pay attention to my BLING BLING weight tracker (go ahead - look 2 u'r left) - you may have noticed that I had a PRETTY significant gain last week after the competition ended. Not only that, but 2morrow is weigh in day and it's likely there may be a small addition again. I can respond in an emotional way which is INCREDIBLY tempting and just throw in the towel and be fed up with my efforts! ...OR I can evaluate my situation and CHOOSE to see the victories along with the mistakes and continue on with some self-correction.

IN addition to this - seeing that scale jump up - if that's not enough to make you wanna cry and throw the scale throw a mirror - I did something last week to change my attitude and redirect my attention on the positives so I wasn't "wallowing in my sorrows" and walking around crying "WOE IS ME!" <--haha...

I went and had my measurements done to see the BIGGER picture of this ordeal - that definitely gave me reassurance that things were still on track - even with a small detour.


STATS

Inches lost...

1.25' - Chest

2' - Rgt Arm

2.25' - Rgt Thigh

4' - Abdomen

6.25' - Hips

10.25' - Waist

TOTAL INCHES LOST: 26 inches

BODY WEIGHT LOST: 22.6% from start weight

So as I said...it definitely changed my attitude.

NECESSARY REVISIONS

1. Living healthy does NOT been not living life! Special events will happen (in my case family reunion, bachelorette party, rehearsal dinner & wedding in 2 week span) - BUT just make wise decisions! If you are going to have dessert - plan u'r day to accommodate dessert.

2. Just because they offer you food - does NOT mean you have to accept. Politely explain that you'd rather not - give your reasoning if necessary. True friends will respect that and not sabotage your success.

3. Pack a snack! Seriously...preportion out snacks that you can munch on while others are indulging in chocolates, chips and random junk food snacks.

4. If you slip up, GET UP! One bad day should NOT lead to one back week, which leads to two weeks and more...GET UP!

5. LASTLY! Stay positive! If you start spewing those same negative thoughts you had before back into your mind - guess what - you'll start believing them again! Instead of hanging face and feeling like a failure, talk to yourself. Yea, I said it! "Hey Mesha, you've been doing so great - shake yourself off and don't give up! You've got this - you ARE more than a conqueror, in our weakness, GOD shows himself strong and mighty on our behalf. Look at all the wonderful changes you've made in your life - those old thoughts aren't you anymore. You are strong. You are courageous. You are an overcomer. You WILL succeed!"

ABOUT THE VERSE: Okay - so about my verse today! I was talking to a great friend of mine on Facebook chat and she always makes it a point to ask me how I'm doing spiritually! I opened up about how it's been rough - because I feel like I've been so consumed with my weight loss and diet/exercise that I've neglected what should be first in my life! I'm an all or nothing kind of gal and it's like wherever I set my focus - that area consumes me! She gave me this verse about "extremes." We've got to find balance in our lives and not do things to the "extremes." It's possible - I'm @ a point where it's what I need to learn how to do.

Verse of the Day:

Ecclesiastes 7:18

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. The man who fears God will avoid all extremes...

7 comments:

Cheryl B said...

I love reading your blogs. You are so good at this.

Magic Brush said...

Interesting scripture considering my neighbor is trying to get me to give up meat and dairy to aid in weight loss (extremes).

I am soooo proud of you!

letterstoelijah said...

I needed that verse! I can also be an all or nothing kind of girl! I'm really trying to find balance on this journey - nothing too extreme - in any direction. Every day I try to remember to give God all the glory in this adventure. With Him ALL things are possible!!

Tony C said...

Love the verse!

I notice your bling thing...it inspires me whenever I visit.

Keep it up...for you and for Him!

tammi said...

Very appropriate verse! I found last year that I was spending too much time thinking about losing weight and had to take a step back and focus on God rather. He honoured that decision ~ even though I didn't do any counting or journalling and no more exercise than I had been before, I didn't gain a single pound! And then I started focusing on myself again, and guess what? I gained TWENTY!!!

It really is all about focus. The online Bible study I've been hosting this summer as well as the Revive Our Hearts daily radio broadcasts have really helped me see that our focus in life must. be. God. Regardless of what our hopes, dreams, plans, and daily circumstances are, we must look to God, measuring and testing our heart attitudes against His word every single day. That's the only way we'll approach every aspect of our lives ~ including our weight and health ~ with HIS wisdom.

S said...

What a powerful post! I am sitting here crying. Thank you for reminding me that we have already overcome, that we are MORE than conquerers. How sweet that true freedom really is.
I can't wait to get to know you more. You are a great blessing!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your blogs, Mesh. ABSOLUTELY love your fresh outlook on life. It motivates me each day to push harder than what I would with my determination alone. I am so thankful for you! I agree with all the rules you listed, and so proud of your stats!!! YOU ROCK!