The journey...

Life is in the journey, not the destination, so do what you can and take it one day at a time. Go slow, do it right, and make your changes permanent — then help out others who are where you were.

~Jillian Michaels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Healthy Relationship

I was reading through various blog posts and Alexis (who I met through Kristin Steede's blog) wrote a post called "My Secret Love Affair Part 1." At the end of this very true and easy to relate to post, she asked some questions that were probably more rhetorical than anything, but being the blogger that I am I decided to answer them right here. This "Love Affair" she is referring to is the one so many people have with FOOD.

Alexis's Question:

"Breaking up is never easy, but like in real life relationships, its easier to break up when you have friends by your side supporting you. Ask yourself today, What is your relationship with food? Are you hiding a secret love affair? and are you ready for the break up?"

My Response:

I am SOOOO thankful to be able to say my love affair ended in February. Food and I are now simply colleagues and "food" actually works to HELP me achieve my goal of freedom rather than tempting me into an unhealthy relationship that ultimately left me feeling empty anyways. Not to mention the "baggage" associated with yet another sinful interaction. Fast food and junk food no longer whisper into my ear and allure me to the drive thru @ nearly midnight. Route 44 Cherry Dr. Peppers no longer rock me to sleep and relieve the stress of my day (although Diet Coke's w/ Lime occassionally do now). Second and third plates are a faint memory, there is only one marked for me. :) Not to mention I'm noticing a little extra money in the bank from avoiding these temporary "fixes." It's actually kinda crazy because early into my journey I just couldn't comprehend this "needing to eat to lose" idea and in turn I was eating unhealthily LOW amounts of calories and I plateaued for 4-5 weeks losing only ~3lbs in that time frame. It was HORRIBLE. Now I actually smile about my mid day and mid afternoon snacks of fresh fruit or yogurt knowing that by eating this food it's going to keep my metabolism moving which will help me pull off pounds. I LOVE THE NEW RELATIONSHIP WE HAVE, one of building up and not tearing down.

Tell me a little bit about YOUR relationship with food? Is it a healthy one? A moderate one? Does food own the key to your heart? Should it?

Verse of the Day:

Hosea 2:7 (NKJV)
She will chase her lovers, but not overtake them; Yes, she will seek them, but not find them. Then she will say, ‘ I will go and return to my first husband, for then it was better for me than now.’

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah! I am always working on this. I honestly think food should just be a necessity we need to live over actual desire. Obviously this is hard when I love candy so much! But I feel very convicted when there are people all over the world, even in the US, starving. So, it is a work in progress!

Shauna said...

I truly believe that winning the battle of weight and food is just that..."Having a HEALTHY relationship"! I am so proud of you, I remember taking to you almost a year ago and the thought of no fast food and soda was inconceivable!! look at you now!! I am so proud. P.S. havent seen you in a week...your face looks skinny in that picture.

Have a blessed day! said...

What a GREAT picture of you! I wish your "relationship" many more joyous years! :)

L said...

Ah man! My relationship with food is tough. I don't have a love affair with it all the time but I certainly lean on it sometimes when I am stressed or bored. Those are my weakest times.

Thanks for the post.

Hugs to you

Have a blessed day! said...

I tagged you on my blog.

((HUGS))

Valerie said...

"It's actually kinda crazy because early into my journey I just couldn't comprehend this "needing to eat to lose" idea and in turn I was eating unhealthily LOW amounts of calories and I plateaued for 4-5 weeks losing only ~3lbs in that time frame."

I completely understand this feeling and it is good to see that someone else went through it earlier in their journey. I am thankful for you and the wisdom you have gained in the past 6 months. It helps me realize that the temporary frustrations and set backs I am having now are not permanent and that I just have to keep on plugging away. You always give me that little boost of positivity that I need.