The journey...

Life is in the journey, not the destination, so do what you can and take it one day at a time. Go slow, do it right, and make your changes permanent — then help out others who are where you were.

~Jillian Michaels

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, May 24, 2010

Challenge Others

I feel like I've been on this "hiatus" for so long that I forgot how exciting it is to be challenged and challenge other people.  I lost my joy and passion for motivating and encouraging others along the way because of my temporary "funk."


Last week I had a taste of what that was like again, I feel like I'm slowing "rounding the bend" and getting back on course.  I opened my email inbox to find Jillian Michael's newsletter and it encouraged me to re-visit a workout that I used to enjoy promoting as a pop challenge: WALL SITS or as she calls them, WALL SQUATS (<-- click the link if you are unsure what a wall sit/squat is).

In my opinion, wall sits are a great, challenging, fun & FUNNY workout to do (especially in groups).  They leave your legs screaming with that "feel-good" pain!  It's exciting when you can rally some willful parties to accept this workout torture because you can see who's legs will hold up longest.  I remember a couple seasons back on "The Biggest Loser" they hosted a pop challenge where they had to do wall sits while holding a six-pound medicine ball on their laps - BRUTAL!  They are hard enough holding up your own weight, adding a six-pound foreign object is insane.

Anyways, I made last Thursday an "OFFICIAL WALL SIT DAY" and encouraged others to join me for a 5 minute challenge on facebook and at work.  I asked that if possible they take a picture completing the challenge.  Turned out that there were about 5 joyful participants at work and 5 more on facebook who took me up on it at home.  Everyone handled the challenge with some good sweat, smiles & squeals!  I even had one who completed the challenge on one leg at a time.  WOW!
AND...the challenge is now spreading!

Today Jenn, our mortgage department manager, proposed the "Chair Crawl" challenge.  Basically you sit in a desk chair on wheels, hold on tight and use only your legs to "crawl" or walk yourself forward.  Sounds easy enough, however the burn you get in your hamstrings is worth the funny-feat.  We had 7 "take a seat and enjoy the ride" for this one!

The fire for a corporate calorie burn is spreadin'...

Great Job Jessica! :)

Verse of the Day:
-Romans 12:10

“Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves."

2 comments:

Shiloh said...

Oh Mesha! I wish I could've been there for this chair crawl!! You are a crack up!! Thanks for your challenge, even if I fell short!!

Anonymous said...

This is soooo cool!!!! I am so insanely jealous (ok, not REALLY jealous, but you know what I mean... haha) that you get to do this together at work. :) You rock, keep inspiring!!